HSBC CardGuard

HSBC Online Banking activation

We're currently making improvements to our Online Banking service.

If you registered for Online Banking prior to the 17th December 2014 it's not possible for you to activate your existing Secure Key and you will need to re-start your registration.

If you registered for Online Banking after this date, please log on to Online Banking entering your username, memorable answer and your password, from here you will be prompted to activate your Secure Key.

We apologise for any inconvenience which this delay may cause. Once you are registered, we look forward to introducing you to Online Banking, including the exciting enhancements we're working on now.

Find out more

What is CardGuard?

HSBC CardGuard is an optional insurance product that provides assistance and cover for your debit and credit cards, store cards, membership cards and some of your belongings in the event of them being lost or stolen.

Although this product is no longer on sale to new customers, existing customers may still hold an active policy.

CardGuard is not a Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) policy. CardGuard offers a service to ensure you can cancel multiple missing cards and order replacements promptly with one telephone call.

Additionally, it currently offers assistance with the following:

  • Emergency cash advances if you have no access to money to keep you going until you get home
  • Unlimited cash advance to replace travel tickets if lost with your card
  • If you are abroad: help with arranging emergency replacement passports or driving licences
  • Assistance in arranging for a locksmith to get you back into your home or car and cover to help towards the cost of replacement locks and keys.

What now?

As the agreed claim period for the Scheme of Arrangement has now passed, customers are no longer able to claim back compensation for any premiums paid on or after 14 January 2005.

The CPP compensation scheme will only, in exceptional circumstances, consider any claims that have been submitted after 30 August 2014. These exceptional circumstances are defined as being where;

  • a claimant can reasonably prove that they were ‘out of the country’ and only residing in the UK for 31 days or less over the 7 month period between 31 January 2014 and 30 August 2014
  • a certified medical condition has prevented the claimant from submitting a claim (as evidenced by appropriate documentation)
  • a claimant is returning a new form that they received as a result of the scheme being unable to process their original form. Such examples could include if the original form that the claimant submitted was damaged and therefore, unable to be processed by the Scheme. In these rare cases, the claimant would be given a 30 day period to return the new form providing the original form was submitted before 30 August 2014.

Within each exception outlined above, the scheme has strict criteria that must be met in order for a claim (submitted after the FCA agreed deadline) to be considered.

If you did not receive a letter or you have a legitimate reason for not being able to make your claim before 30 August 2014, please contact the CPP Scheme of Arrangement on 0800 083 43 93. Lines are open 8am-9pm Monday to Friday and 8am-6pm Saturday.

Please note, HSBC will not be able to investigate any complaints or compensation claims for any premiums charged after 14 January 2005 which would have been covered under the Scheme of Arrangement.

If you have any other concerns regarding a CPP policy purchased from HSBC or your complaint relates to a policy where premiums were charged before 14 January 2005, you can raise a complaint in writing to:

Customer Service
PO Box 5207,

Alternatively, you may contact us on 0345 600 6539. Lines are open 9am-4pm Monday to Friday.

Please provide full details of your concerns including any details of claims made on the policy and any use of the ‘one call’ service to notify card companies of your cards being lost/stolen.

If we have insufficient information we may send you a questionnaire. Although it is not compulsory for you to complete and return the questionnaire, by doing so it will help us with our investigation.

We expect to resolve all complaints raised within eight weeks and will be in touch before then to update you on our investigation. If you have not received a reply from us within eight weeks of raising your complaint, you have the right to refer your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Who are CPP and what has happened?

Card Protection Plan Limited (CPP) administers the CardGuard protection policy on behalf of HSBC.

In 2011, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) undertook a review of CPP's sales practices of card protection and identity theft insurance products that were offered on or after 14 January 2005.

Following this investigation, the FCA determined that some policies may have been mis-sold after serious failings were identified. The FCA found that CPP provided information which was misleading or overstated the value of the fraud cover which the policy provides.

As a result, the FCA fined CPP and a customer redress programme was set up to compensate those customers that could have been impacted by this issue.

CPP proactively contacted customers whose policies have been sold or renewed since 14 January 2005, inviting them to claim for compensation. To successfully claim for compensation, customers needed to complete their claim form and submit this to the Scheme of Arrangement by 30 August 2014.

All customers who have successfully claimed through the Scheme of Arrangement will have had their CardGuard policy cancelled. Although HSBC no longer offers this policy to new customers, there may be similar products on the market available. Please note that these products are not endorsed by HSBC or the wider HSBC group.

Claims Management Companies

If you feel you need to make a complaint, we would like to stress that there is no need to use a claims management company. While you are of course free to do so, the claims management companies (CMC) usually take a fee or percentage of any compensation you are paid.

If you contact us directly we will assess your complaint in exactly the same way that we assess complaints sent in by a CMC and you won't have to pay them a fee or any percentage if you do receive compensation.

For independent guidance on how CMCs work visit Which? .

Frequently asked questions

To make the whole process as straight forward as we can, we've listed below some frequently asked questions about CPP and CardGuard. There are also independent sources of information available should you have any further questions.

Q: What else do I need to know about making complaints?
Q: A claims management company has offered to handle my complaint for me. What should I do?
Q: I cancelled my policy early, can I still make a complaint about CardGuard?
Q: What can I do if I am dissatisfied with your decision?
Q: I have missed the deadline to claim back a refund through the CPP compensation scheme. What do I do now?
Q: Why can't you investigate my complaint?
Q: I have seen in the media that I could be entitled to a refund of my Card Protection premiums but I did not receive a letter. What do I need to do?
What would the Scheme of Arrangement consider to be a 'legitimate reason' for not being able to make a claim?

Do you have a question?

Sorry, our 'Virtual assistant' only works if you have javascript enabled. If you have a question for us and can't view this tool, please call us on 08457 404 404. Lines are open 8am to 10pm everyday.

Calls may be monitored or recorded for quality and training purposes.

Need to speak to us?

Give our friendly team a call on:

08457 404 404

Textphone 18001 08457 125 563
Lines are open from 8am to 8pm every day except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day. Calls may be monitored or recorded.

Prefer to talk face-to-face?

Pop into your nearest branch for a chat.

Find a branch