New applicants to HSBC must be able to declare the following statements.
- I am aged 16 or over
- I have been a permanent resident in the UK for at least the last 3 years
- I am able to operate the account solely online
- I am not a Public Official or an associate or immediate family member of a public official what's this?
- I do not own, operate or exercise any significant control of any business involving money transfers or currency exchange, casinos or other types of gaming or gambling, wholesales of precious metal or gems or the production or distribution of arms or other military products.
A Public Official includes
- heads of State, heads of government, ministers and deputy or assistant ministers
- members of parliaments
- members of supreme courts, of constitutional courts or of other high-level judicial bodies whose decisions are not generally subject to further appeal, except in exceptional circumstances
- members of courts of auditors or of the boards of central banks
- senior diplomats and senior consular and embassy officials ambassadors, chargés d'affaires
- high-ranking officers in the armed forces
- members of the administrative, management or supervisory bodies of State-owned enterprises.
These include Public Officials of any country, including the UK and none of the above covers middle ranking or more junior officers with the exception of the last point, and include positions at the European and international level.
- business associates, aides and other close advisors
- any person who is known to have joint beneficial ownership of legal entities and legal arrangements, or any other close business relations, with a Public Official
- any legal entity or legal arrangement whose beneficial owner is owned/controlled by an associated person referred to above and which is known to have been set up for the benefit of a Public Official
Immediate Family Member includes
- the spouse
- any partner considered by national law as equivalent to the spouse
- the children and their spouses or partners
- the parents
- any brothers and sisters