Top of main content

Buildings and contents insurance

Combine contents and buildings insurance to get complete coverage for your home.

Insure your home and everything inside it

Make sure your home is fully protected. Get a quote today and apply for a buildings and contents insurance policy, provided by Aviva.

Retrieve a quote, or continue with one you were given in the last 90 days.

Why get buildings and contents insurance with us?

Pay monthly

Pay in regular instalments with no additional charges if you'd like to pay monthly.

24/7 support

Your UK-based team are available around the clock, whenever you need to make a buildings or contents insurance claim.

Flexible policy

There’s no cost for changing your cover whenever you need to, but your premium may increase if you add extras.

Refund switching costs

Get a new policy with us before your current policy ends and we’ll refund any cancellation fees. T&Cs apply. Get a refund.

What does our buildings and contents insurance cover?

  • Unlimited buildings cover
    We'll cover the full cost of rebuilding your home up to the same specification as the original building, with no upper limit.
  • Up to £50,000 for loss or damage to your belongings
    You could receive up to £50,000 to cover the loss or damage to your belongings, or a specified amount.
  • Replace items on a like-for-like basis
    We'll replace any contents item you claim for on a like-for-like basis, or replace it with its nearest available equivalent.
  • Water damage
    If you've got water damage from a leaking pipe, we'll find the source of the leak and fix any damage caused.
  • Cover for your contents while you're temporarily away from home
    If you're away from home, you could still get cover for your contents including up to £5,000 for a member of your household who is away working or studying.
  • Somewhere for you and your pets to stay
    If damage has meant you can't live in your home, we'll find you and your domestic pets somewhere to stay.

All subject to your policy terms and conditions.

What's not covered by our buildings and contents insurance?

  • Any excess on your policy schedule
  • Damage from any cause of wet or dry rot
  • Building and contents wear and tear
  • We'll reduce the amount we pay for clothes or household linen (eg bedding) to reflect wear and tear
  • Damage that happens after the home has been left unoccupied for longer than the period shown in your policy
  • Loss or damage caused by domestic animals
  • Motorised vehicles, aircraft, boats, boards and other craft and any parts, spares or accessories

Other exclusions apply – please read the General Exclusions section of the policy booklet (PDF, 65KB).

Optional extras

Choose from a variety of extra cover to make sure your policy protects everything you need it to.

High-quality home insurance

Defaqto 2024 Home insurance award

5 Star rated by Defaqto

HSBC Home Insurance is rated 5 Star by Defaqto, the independent financial information business. This means our policy is one of the most comprehensive in the market.

Get a buildings and contents insurance quote

Who can apply?

You can apply if:

  • you're over the age of 16
  • your property is in the UK (excluding Channel Islands and Isle of Man)

Retrieve a quote

Retrieve a quote, or continue with one you were given in the last 90 days.

Get a quote by phone

Call us on 0800 744 844

Lines are open 08:00 to 20:00 Monday to Friday and 08:00 to 18:00 on Saturdays and 10:00 to 16:00 on Sundays. On public holidays, opening hours may vary.

Frequently asked questions

You might also be interested in


Find out how you can manage your policy, and how we can help if you need to make a claim.     


See what's covered by different policies and work out what you may need.   


If your mortgage application is approved, it's now time to think about what home insurance you might need.   


Find out what's covered, from an emergency call-out for a wasp nest to a broken boiler.     

It's easy to answer your query online. Visit our Help page to find out how.