Get cover for your belongings
Make sure your belongings are covered with our contents insurance. Get a quote today and apply for a contents insurance policy, provided by Aviva.
Why get contents insurance with us?
Up to £50,000 for loss or damage to your belongings, and cover for your contents if you're temporarily away from the home.
There’s no cost for changing your cover whenever you need to, but your premium may increase if you add extras.
Your UK-based home insurance claims team are available around the clock, whenever you need to make a contents claim.
Refund switching costs
Get a new policy with us before your current policy ends and we’ll refund any cancellation fees. T&Cs apply. Get a refund.
What does our contents insurance cover?
Pay in regular instalments, with no additional charges if you'd like to pay monthly.
- Up to £50,000 for loss or damage to your belongingsYou could receive up to £50,000 to cover loss or damage to your belongings or up to £80,000 on request. This could be caused by fire, explosions, smoke, heating fuel leaks or falling aerials.
- Replace items on a like-for-like basisWe'll replace any contents item you claim for on a like-for-like basis, or replace it with its nearest available equivalent.
- Cover for your contents while you're temporarily away from homeIf you're away from home, you could still get cover for your contents including up to £5,000 for a member of your household who is away working or studying.
All subject to your policy terms and conditions.
What's not covered by our contents insurance?
- Any excess on your policy schedule
- Contents wear and tear
- We'll reduce the amount we pay for clothes or household linen (eg bedding) to reflect wear and tear
- Damage that happens after the home has been left unoccupied for longer than the period shown in your policy
- Loss or damage caused by domestic animals
- Motorised vehicles, aircraft, boats, boards and other craft and any parts, spares or accessories
Other exclusions apply – please read the General Exclusions section of the policy booklet (PDF, 856KB).
Choose from a variety of extra cover to make sure your policy protects everything you need it to.
Accidental damage to contents cover
Personal belongings cover
Pedal cycles cover
Business equipment cover
High-quality home insurance
5 Star rated by Defaqto
HSBC Home Insurance is rated 5 Star by Defaqto, the independent financial information business. This means our policy is one of the most comprehensive in the market.
Get a contents insurance quote
Who can apply?
Get a quote online
Retrieve a quote
Get a quote by phone
Call us on 0800 744 844
Lines are open 08:00 to 20:00 Monday to Friday and 08:00 to 18:00 on Saturdays and 10:00 to 16:00 on Sundays. On public holidays, opening hours may vary.
Frequently asked questions
What is contents insurance?
Do you need contents insurance when you're renting?
Does contents insurance cover carpets?
Will my home insurance premium increase after a claim?
What is valuable?
You might also be interested in
Home insurance support
Find out how you can manage your policy, and how we can help if you need to make a claim.
How much home insurance do you need?
See what's covered by different policies and work out what you may need.
What is home emergency cover?
Find out what's covered, from an emergency call-out for a wasp nest to a broken boiler.