Take the perfect travel companion with you
Heading somewhere nice this year? You can use your HSBC debit and credit cards easily outside the UK, the same way you would at home.
At a glance
- Enjoy flexibility and convenienceYou can use your debit or credit card at shops, restaurants and cash machines while you’re away. Plus you can use contactless* wherever it’s accepted.
- Keep track of your holiday spendsUse our mobile banking app or online banking to keep track of your spending outside the UK. That way, you’ll have no nasty surprises on your statement when you arrive back home.
- Relax knowing you can block your cardIf you think your card’s been lost or stolen, you can freeze or block it with our online or mobile banking – and unblock it if it turns up again.
*Fees apply when using your card outside the UK. Please see our frequently asked questions for full details.
Top tip – it pays to go local
If you’re using your card outside the UK and are given the choice of paying in pounds or local currency, consider choosing local currency. By selecting this option, you’ll avoid dynamic currency conversion fees and in most cases will get a better exchange rate.
|If you spend||You will pay a fee of|
|If you spend||£10|
|You will pay a fee of||28p|
|If you spend||£25|
|You will pay a fee of||69p|
|If you spend||£40|
|You will pay a fee of||£1.10|
|If you spend||£50|
|You will pay a fee of||£1.38|
|If you spend||£75|
|You will pay a fee of||£2.06|
|If you spend||£100|
|You will pay a fee of||£2.75|
Credit card charges are slightly different. For details, please see our frequently asked questions, below.
Visa converts transactions into sterling using the Visa Exchange Rate applicable on the day it processes the transaction (the rates are provided by Visa and subject to change). This date may be different to the day on which the transaction took place. Historic exchange rate information is available at www.visaeurope.com
How much will it cost to withdraw money from an ATM with my HSBC debit card?
A non-sterling transaction fee of 2.75% applies to conversion on foreign exchange transactions for all HSBC account holders.
HSBC Bank Account holders are charged a non-sterling cash fee of 2% (minimum £1.75, maximum £5.00) when withdrawing non-sterling cash. However, there is no non-sterling cash fee for HSBC Premier, HSBC Premier MyAccount or HSBC Advance customers when using ATMs.
Credit card charges are slightly different. See our frequently asked questions, below, for details.
Heading off on your travels?
How to let us know
To check your personal details after completing the travel form:
1. Select ‘Personal and address details’ in the ‘My banking’ section.
2. Update your mobile phone number and email address.
We don’t use the mobile number you give in the form to contact you if any fraud is suspected, only for travel notifications and offers.
We’ll use the phone number you give under ‘Personal and address details’ if we need to contact you urgently.