Table of contents
A standing order is a regular payment of a specified amount to another account. Setting up a standing order can reduce the amount of admin you have to do. It can also help make sure you never miss a payment on something important like your rent.
A standing order is different to a Direct Debit as you set up the payment for a fixed amount. With a Direct Debit, the company you’re paying will set up the payment (with your instruction) and can change the payment amount.
Cancel a standing order
You can cancel a standing order in the mobile app just by tapping on it. To view your standing orders, go to your account details page:
- Log on to the app.
- Go to your account details page.
- Select ‘Standing orders’ .
- Tap on the one you want to cancel.
- Follow the on-screen instructions
You can also cancel your standing orders through online banking.
- Log on to online banking (you’ll need to have your Secure Key with you).
- Select the relevant account and then ‘Manage’.
- Select ‘Standing orders and future payments’.
- Find the standing order you want to cancel and then ‘Details’.
- Select ‘Cancel’ and follow the on-screen instructions.
You need to cancel the standing order by the working day before your next payment is due.
You can also cancel a standing order over the phone or in a branch.
Amend a standing order
If you need to change the amount of a standing order, you’ll need to let us know the working day before the payment is due to go out.
Through online banking (you’ll need to have your Secure Key with you):
- Log on to online banking and select the relevant account.
- Go to ‘Manage’ and then ‘Standing orders and future payments’.
- Find the standing order you’d like to amend and select ‘Show details’.
- Select ‘Edit these details’ and make the relevant changes.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete your request.
If you need to change any other details, you'll need to cancel the existing standing order and set up a new one with the new details.
You can also amend a standing order over the phone or in a branch.
Set up a standing order
Setting up a standing order online
The fastest way to set up a standing order is online. If you’re registered for online banking with HSBC, you can follow these steps:
- Log on to online banking.
- Go to ‘Move Money’.
- Select ‘New payment or transfer’.
- Fill in the information required.
- Under ‘Date’, select ‘Standing order’ and complete the details.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and generate a transaction code with your Secure Key to authorise the transaction.
For help generating a transaction code, please visit our Making payments page.
You’ll need to set up a standing order 2 working days before the payment is due to be made to make sure it goes through on time.
Setting up a standing order in branch
You can also go into a branch to set up a standing order. Make sure you have some identification and also details of who you’ll be paying.
Setting up a standing order over the phone
To set up a standing order over the phone, view your contact options on our phone banking page.