Table of contents
A standing order is a regular payment – for example monthly or weekly – of a specified amount from one account to another. You can set it up to end on a certain date or after a specific number of payments. You can use it for regular outgoings such as rent.
A standing order is different to a Direct Debit as it can be used to pay either a company or friend/family member. The account holder sets it up and it’s for a fixed amount unless amended.
Cancel a standing order
If you want to cancel a standing order, you need to do it by the working day before your next payment is due.
You can do this in the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app:
- Log on to the app.
- Go to your account details page.
- Select ‘Standing orders’.
- Tap on the one you want to cancel.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Here’s how to cancel your standing orders through online banking:
- Log on to online banking (you’ll need to have your Secure Key with you).
- Select the relevant account and then ‘Manage’.
- Select ‘Standing orders and future payments’.
- Find the standing order you want to cancel and then ‘Details’.
- Select ‘Cancel’ and follow the on-screen instructions.
You can also cancel a standing order over the phone or in a branch.
Amend a standing order
If you want to change the amount of a standing order, you’ll need to let us know the working day before the payment is due to go out.
If you want to change any other details, you'll need to cancel the existing standing order and set up a new one with the new details.
Here’s how to amend a standing order through online banking (you’ll need to have your Secure Key with you):
- Log on to online banking and select the relevant account.
- Go to ‘Manage’ and then ‘Standing orders and future payments’.
- Find the standing order you’d like to amend and select ‘Show details’.
- Select ‘Edit these details’ and make the relevant changes.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete your request.
You can also amend a standing order over the phone or in a branch.
Set up a standing order
You’ll need to set up a standing order 2 working days before the payment is due to make sure it goes through on time.
Setting up a standing order using mobile banking
You can set up a standing order between your own HSBC UK accounts or to an existing personal payee on the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app. To set one up you can follow these steps:
- Log on to the HSBC Mobile Banking app.
- Select ‘Move Money’ then ‘Send money within UK’.
- Choose the account you want to pay from.
- Select the account you want to send money to, either your HSBC account or an existing payee.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and toggle the ‘Standing order?’ option to on.
- Complete all the required information and check the details carefully before continuing and confirming.
Find out more about the HSBC Mobile Banking app
Setting up a standing order online
If you're registered for online banking with HSBC, you can follow these steps:
- Log on to online banking.
- Go to 'Move Money'.
- Select 'New payment or transfer'.
- Fill in the information required.
- Under 'Date', select 'Standing order' and complete the details.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and generate a transaction code with your Secure Key to authorise the transaction.
For help generating a transaction code, please visit our Making payments page.
Setting up a standing order in branch
You can also go into a branch to set up a standing order. Make sure you have some identification and also details of who you’ll be paying.
Setting up a standing order over the phone
To set up a standing order over the phone, view your contact options on our phone banking page.