Why choose HSBC to send money outside the UK?
We've made it quick and easy for you to send money outside the UK:
Making international payments:
- Available 24/7 via online bankingSend up to £50,000 or currency equivalent in a matter of minutes. We've also made it easy for you to set up future dated and recurring payments.
- Simple feesThere’s no fee if you’re paying in euros and it’s going to a country/region in the European Economic Area (EEA) 1 We won’t charge you either if you’re transferring to another HSBC account. Otherwise, you can send money online for just £4.
- Exchange rate certaintyWith live rates updated by the second during market hours we'll provide you with our most up to date foreign exchange rate available, providing you with the certainty and visibility of how much you're sending.
- Safe and secureUsing your own bank means you'll have peace of mind knowing that your transaction is secure. Last year we helped our customers send over 1.3 million payments to over 150 different countries/regions.
Find out how to make a payment online
Send money confidently in local currency
Next time you're making an International Payment, why not consider sending it in the local currency? It’s easy to do and you’ll know exactly how much you’re sending with our up-to-date exchange rates.
Sending money outside the UK
It’s quick and easy to send money all over the world with online banking. You can send up to:
- £50,000 online (or the currency equivalent)
- £10,000,000 for Premier customers and up to £10,000 (or the currency equivalent) for non-Premier customers over the phone
- unlimited in branches
Here's everything you need to know before you get started:
Details needed to send money outside of the UK
Costs for sending money outside the UK
How long will it take?
Can I cancel a payment?
Make a payment online
- Log on to online banking and select the account from where you want to make the payment and select 'Move Money'.
- Enter payment details.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Review and confirm your payment.
We may send you updates on the status of your payment by email, text message or post. Please check your contact details are up to date to make sure you receive our messages.
Generate a transaction code
When sending money to someone for the first time, to keep you safe we will ask you to authorise the transaction by generating a one-time transaction code on your Digital Secure Key or physical Secure Key. Using a Digital Secure Key means you only need your digital device to make payments. For more information, or to find out how to upgrade, please visit our Secure Key page.
This is a security step that verifies your credentials. It also increases security against possible fraud attacks which can be potentially caused by malware.
Digital Secure Key user
Physical Secure Key user
Registered for online banking?
If you’re already registered for online banking, you can make an international payment now.
Make a payment by phone or in branch
Not registered yet?
You need to be registered for online banking to make an international payment online.
Receiving money from outside the UK
Things you need to know before receiving a payment
The bank sending the payment to you will need to know the following details about the account that’s to be credited. You can help make sure the payment happens as quickly as possible by giving the following:
- your personal details
- Swift Code or BIC (Bank Identifier Code)
- IBAN (International Bank Account Number) or account number
It’s possible for you to receive money into your account from outside the UK in either foreign currency or sterling.
If money is received in a different currency to the one your account is held in, we'll convert it using the most up-to-date exchange rate before crediting it to your account.
Where can I find my IBAN and BIC?
How much will it cost to receive?
You might also be interested in
HSBC Currency Account
Looking for an easy to manage currency holding account? With no monthly account fees, our Currency Account helps put you in control.
We deliver direct to your door or to your nearest branch. Enjoy fee free next working day delivery on all orders £100 or more.
1European Economic Area includes Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Slovakia, Slovenia and Sweden.