Stay on top of your money while you study
Start your application online today
Document verification will be required in branch.
Still in your home country?
At a glance
- Set up bill payments and easy transfersSet up Direct Debits and standing orders to make sure your bills are paid automatically. Sending money to family and friends is easy, too.
- Make contactless paymentsYour account comes with a contactless Visa debit card, making it easy to pay on the go.
Things you should know before applying
Charges for using your card abroad
If you pay for something using your HSBC Visa debit card while you're outside the UK, you'll need to pay a 'non-sterling transaction fee' of 2.75%. So, for example, if you spent £100, you'd be charged a fee of £2.75.
If you withdraw money from an ATM, you'll also need to pay a 'cash fee' of 2% (minimum £1.75, maximum £5) as well as the non-sterling transaction fee. So if you took out £100, you'd be charged a total of £4.75.
Any transactions you make will be converted into pound sterling (unless you choose to pay in local currency). To make sure your exchange rate is as competitive as possible, you'll pay the exchange rate set by Visa.
Documents you will need to bring to our branch
Your proof of identity
You’ll need to bring one of these documents. It must be the original document, not a copy:
- your current passport or travel document (passports should include all pages that contain signatures, the passport number and any extension dates where applicable)
- your current National Identity Card (EEA or Swiss Nationals only)
And also one of these documents – again, it must be the original document, not a copy:
- your visa
- a biometric residence permit that doesn’t expire in the next 3 months
Your proof of address
- Provide one of the documents below and make sure it is both recent and certified
- letter from a university/college confirming your acceptance of a place on a qualifying course
EU Photocard Driving Licence and Overseas Driving Licence
- bills and Bank Statements
Important account documents
How to open an account
- Start your application online.
- You'll receive a text message asking you to bring your ID and proof of address to your nearest HSBC branch.
- After your documents have been verified and the account opened, we'll send you a letter with your Telephone Security Number and instructions on how to register for mobile and online banking.
- We'll send you a welcome pack, either in the post or by email.
Opening your account is easy
You can apply for an HSBC Bank Account if you:
- are 18 or over
- currently live in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man
- have valid ID and proof of address
- have proof you've been accepted onto a qualifying course at a UK university or college
- have read the important account documents
If you live in the UK and have lived in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for at least 3 years, apply for an HSBC Student Account instead.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I send or receive money outside the UK?
How do I get bank statements for proof of address?
What's a Telephone Security Number and how do I get one?
What documents do I need to open an account?
What's the difference between a standing order and a Direct Debit?
Activate your card
Account all set up? Find out how to activate your card.
Use your card abroad
|Going travelling? Your HSBC debit card makes the ideal companion.|
1. Our telephone, online and mobile banking services are open 24 hours a day subject to scheduled maintenance periods. To help us offer the best service, we may monitor and/or record your calls with us. Back to 'At a glance'
2. Some cash machine owners in the UK may charge you for withdrawals. This will be shown on screen with an option to cancel the withdrawal if you want. Back to 'At a glance'