Stay on top of your money while you study
If you're already in the UK, you can apply for an HSBC Bank Account with us quickly and easily online.
With this account, you won't have access to our credit facilities (e.g. overdrafts, loans or credit cards), some of our savings accounts, and you won't receive a cheque book.
Start your application online today
Set up bill payments and easy transfers
Set up Direct Debits and standing orders to make sure your bills are paid automatically. Sending money to family and friends is easy, too.
Make contactless payments
Your account comes with a contactless Visa debit card, making it easy to pay on the go.
Charges for using your card abroad
If you pay for something using your HSBC Visa debit card while you're outside the UK, you'll need to pay a 'non-sterling transaction fee' of 2.75%. So, for example, if you spent £100, you'd be charged a fee of £2.75.
If you withdraw money from an ATM, you'll also need to pay a 'cash fee' of 2% (minimum £1.75, maximum £5) as well as the non-sterling transaction fee. So if you took out £100, you'd be charged a total of £4.75.
Any transactions you make will be converted into pound sterling (unless you choose to pay in local currency). To make sure your exchange rate is as competitive as possible, you'll pay the exchange rate set by Visa.
Documents you will need to bring to our branch
Your proof of identity
You’ll need to bring one of these documents. It must be the original document, not a copy:
- your current passport or travel document (passports should include all pages that contain signatures, the passport number and any extension dates where applicable)
- your current National Identity Card (EEA or Swiss Nationals only)
And also one of these documents – again, it must be the original document, not a copy:
- your visa
- a biometric residence permit that doesn’t expire in the next 3 months
Your proof of address
Provide one of the documents below and make sure it is both recent and certified
- letter from a university/college confirming your acceptance of a place on a qualifying course
- EU Photocard Driving Licence and Overseas Driving Licence
- bills and Bank Statements
Important account documents
Charges and overdrafts
- Start your application online.
- You'll receive a text message asking you to bring your ID and proof of address to your nearest HSBC branch.
- After your documents have been verified and the account opened, we'll send you a letter with your Telephone Security Number and instructions on how to register for mobile and online banking.
- We'll send you a welcome pack, either in the post or by email.
You can apply for an HSBC Bank Account if you:
If you live in the UK and have lived in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for at least 3 years, apply for an HSBC Student Account instead.
How do I send or receive money outside the UK?
How do I get bank statements for proof of address?
What's a Telephone Security Number and how do I get one?
What documents do I need to open an account?
What's the difference between a standing order and a Direct Debit?
How do I open an account if I am under 18?
1. Our telephone, online and mobile banking services are open 24 hours a day subject to scheduled maintenance periods. To help us offer the best service, we may monitor and/or record your calls with us. Back to 'At a glance'
2. Some cash machine owners in the UK may charge you for withdrawals. This will be shown on screen with an option to cancel the withdrawal if you want. Back to 'At a glance'