Find out how to apply for a mortgage with HSBC
1. Prepare your details
You'll need details of your income, employment and outgoings.
2. Get a decision in principle
This will give you a good idea of the amount you may be able to borrow. It's quick and easy and it won't affect your credit score.
3. Apply for a mortgage
Once you’ve got your decision in principle, you can start your full mortgage application.
Think carefully before securing other debts against your home.
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
Ready to get a decision in principle?
Before you apply, you should make sure that:
- you're a UK resident
- you're aged 18 or over
- you're not looking for a buy-to-let mortgage
- your income is only received in GBP
- the mortgage is for your main residence and you're not looking to borrow more for your current property
- you're not a member of the armed forces
- your mortgage term is not greater than 35 years
- you're not purchasing through a government scheme, such as Help to Buy
We'll ask you a few questions about yourself and any other person you want to take out a mortgage with. It takes about 5 minutes, and won't affect your credit score.
Apply for a mortgage
Mortgages for self-employed
Apply with a mortgage adviser
You can also choose to apply with a mortgage adviser, by phone or in a branch. We can give advice on the most suitable residential mortgage for you, and guide you through the residential or buy-to-let mortgage process.
Give us a call to book your appointment
Our lines are open Monday to Friday 08:00 to 20:00, Saturday and Sunday 09:00 to 17:00. We may monitor and record calls. Opening hours within the mortgage departments may vary.