Managing your foreign currency
The HSBC Currency Account is an easy-to-manage currency holding account, with no monthly account fee. You can choose from 14 major currencies and open a separate account for each one to store, send and receive money.
Designed to support your international lifestyle, with easy access to your account via online banking, you can manage your finances wherever you are in the world.
- No account feeThere's no monthly fee for the account and no payment fee when sending money to another HSBC account anywhere in the world. You can also send money to non HSBC accounts outside the UK fees may apply.
- Live exchange ratesWith live rates updated by the second during market hours, we'll provide you with our most up-to-date foreign exchange rate available when sending money.
- Managing your paymentsYou can create immediate payments to send money outside the UK, or set these up online up to a year in advance or on a recurring basis.
HSBC Currency Account
Discover whether our new Global Money Account, with multi-currency debit card and the ability to hold more currencies than an HSBC Currency Account, might be better suited to your needs.
If you wish to proceed with an HSBC Currency Account, which does not come with a debit card, find out how to apply.
How to apply for a HSBC Currency Account
Are you eligible?
To apply for an HSBC Currency Account you need to:
- hold an active HSBC current account (excluding Basic Bank Account)
- be 18 years of age or over
If you're not yet an HSBC customer, find out more about our current accounts.
Apply online in minutes
Apply by phone
The rate we use is the HSBC Exchange Rate at the time your payment is made. This is a live rate which is updated by the second during market hours. We’ll notify you each time you make a payment from your account. Where a currency exchange has been involved, we’ll confirm the HSBC Exchange Rate that has been applied.
It’s not possible to cancel an immediate payment or transfer. If you need to cancel a payment that is due to be made on a future or recurring date, then you have until 23:59 (UK time) the day before the payment is due, to cancel it. This can only be done via online banking.
Please note: there’s no interest payable on the HSBC Currency Account.
HSBC Currency Account Fee Information Documents
Glossary of Terms
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I pay into or withdraw funds from my account?
How much will it cost?
How much can I send and how long will it take?
Why can’t I see my HSBC Currency Account when I log on to online banking? It seems to have vanished.
How can I stop my HSBC Currency Account going dormant?
You might also be interested in
We deliver direct to your door or to your nearest branch. Enjoy fee free next working day delivery on all orders £100 or more.
Send money quickly and securely outside the UK using our International Payments service. Fees may apply