Top of main content

Child Trust Fund

Guide for customers with an existing Child Trust Fund account.

A Child Trust Fund is a government scheme that provides a way to invest for children born on or between 1 September 2002 and 2 January 2011. The scheme is now closed to new applicants.

If you already have a Child Trust Fund with HSBC, you can add up to £9,000 a year until your child turns 18. And if you hold a Child Trust Fund with another provider, you may wish to transfer it to HSBC.

What happens when the fund matures?

When the child turns 18, they'll need to tell us what they want to do with their investments.


Here’s an overview of what to expect and what you can do as their fund approaches maturity.


What happens to the fund when you turn 18 is up to you. Discover your options and some information to help you decide.

Are your details up to date?

The address details we hold for your child can be found on your latest HSBC Child Trust Fund Annual Statement (bottom of page 2). If either your or your child’s details have changed, you can let us know by calling 0345 606 6241. If you have a speech or hearing impediment, please call 03457 660 391. Lines are open from 08:00 to 18:00 on Mondays to Fridays, excluding bank holidays.

Paying money into the HSBC Child Trust Fund

If you have a Child Trust Fund with HSBC, you can invest up to £9,000 each birthday year – either as a lump sum or in regular payments. The minimum investment for lump sums is £10. There’s no minimum investment for regular payments.

Relatives and friends can also pay money into the Child Trust Fund if they want to – you just need to give them the account details. For more on payment methods, please read the ‘Child Trust Fund key features’ document.

To set up or increase Direct Debit payments to the account, please print the ‘Child Trust Fund Direct Debit’ form – or call us and we’ll send you a copy. Before completing the form, make sure you read the ‘Key investor information’ document so you understand the nature of the investment and the risk involved.

Remember that a Child Trust Fund is an investment and that all investments carry some risk. The value of investments can fall as well as rise and you may not get back the amount you invest.

Changing the registered contact

To change the registered contact, please download, print and complete our ‘Change of registered contact’ form. Or call us and we’ll send you a copy.

The registered contact can be changed for the HSBC Child Trust Fund if any of the following applies:

  • the existing registered contact no longer wants to be the registered contact
  • the child is 16 years of age or over and wants to become the registered contact
  • the registered contact becomes incapacitated or dies
  • the child is adopted
  • a court order that names the existing registered contact as responsible for the child expires
  • new court order confirms that the existing registered contact should no longer be so
  • contact with the registered contact is lost

Transferring a Child Trust Fund to HSBC

If you have an existing Child Trust Fund held with another provider, you can transfer it to HSBC. 

The HSBC Child Trust Fund invests in a fund which aims to provide capital growth through diversified investment across global markets.

To transfer a Child Trust Fund to us, please download the 'Transfer your Child Trust Fund HSBC' form. Before completing the form, make sure you read the important information, detailed below, under 'Important information and useful forms', so you understand the nature of the investment and the risk involved.

The HSBC Child Trust Fund is offered without advice. This means we aren’t required to assess the suitability of this product for you so you need to be confident about making your own investment decisions.

Bear in mind that the value of investments can fall as well as rise so you may get back less than you invest.

What else do you need to know?

A Child Trust Fund account beneficially belongs to your child. Any money you or anyone else pays into the account is a gift to your child that they can only access when they turn 18.

You can transfer the Child Trust Fund account into a Junior ISA if you want to. Currently, we don’t offer Junior ISAs, but you can find out more about them at MoneyHelper.

Do you need financial advice?

We want to make sure that our products and services are right for your circumstances and that we are supporting you. If you’re not sure whether an investment is suitable for you, we recommend you consider taking financial advice.

To find out about getting investment advice from HSBC, read our advice options page. 

To find out more about the wider industry, including how to seek independent financial advice, you can visit MoneyHelper

Important information and useful forms

These documents explain the detail of the HSBC Child Trust Fund account and the nature of the underlying investment.

Updated terms and conditions are set out in the link below.

These forms can help you manage the Child Trust Fund account. Please download and print the relevant form – or give us a call and we’ll send you a copy.

To set up regular payments to your Child Trust Fund: 

To change the registered contact on your account:

To transfer your Child Trust Fund to HSBC:

The HSBC Child Trust Fund is offered by HSBC UK Bank plc. HSBC UK Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, and is entered on the Financial Services Register as number 765112.

Explore more


Different ways to save, which can help you give your child a head start in life.


Find out whether you could be missing out on Child Trust Fund money.


Teaching children one of life’s most important lessons.


See how investing could help you cover the costs of your child’s education. Capital at risk.

It's easy to answer your query online. Visit our Help page to find out how.