A helping hand for landlords
Whether you're starting out or expanding your property portfolio, we've got a range of mortgages to suit you.
- Our current ratesYou could have low monthly payments with our latest rates.
- Up to 75% Loan to Value mortgageYou'll need a minimum 25% deposit for a buy-to-let mortgage.
- Standard valuationAll our mortgages come with a standard property valuation, so there's less for you to think about.
- Apply by phone or onlineYou can speak to one of our mortgage advisers or apply online.
Think carefully before securing other debts against your property. Your property may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
Things to consider before you apply
We've listed some key information below to help you learn more about the application. Plus, you can also take a look at our helpful Buy-to-let factsheet for further guidance.
Who can apply
To apply for a buy-to-let mortgage, you should make sure that:
- you've owned and lived in your current home for at least 6 months
- you have a minimum annual salary of £25,000 (excluding rental income)
- your maximum borrowing won't exceed 75% loan to value
- you're not a portfolio landlord
- your annual rental income will be at least 125% of your mortgage payments, if all mortgage applicants are lower-rate tax payers. Or, if any applicant is a higher-rate tax payer, your annual rental income should be at least 145% of your mortgage payments
- you won't have more than £2 million buy-to-let borrowing with HSBC (including the amount you wish to apply for)
What is a portfolio landlord?
You should also check to make sure that the property you're looking to buy:
- is located in the UK
- isn't a house in multiple occupancy (HMO), such as a student let
- can be let under an assured shorthold tenancy (AST) or company let agreement
- has a minimum property valuation amount of £75,000
- has a minimum energy performance certificate (EPC) of E or above. The energy rating will be determined during the property valuation
Here's an idea of what details you'll need:
- personal income
- rental property costs
Apply for a buy to let mortgage
Applying for a buy-to-let mortgage with us is straightforward
Already started your application?
If you're not a UK resident find out how to apply.
Arrange an appointment
If you would like to speak to us about a buy-to-let mortgage but you're unsure whether you're ready to proceed, we can offer you a 30 minute initial discussion with an expert . They will be able to answer any questions you may have before booking a follow up appointment
When you're ready to proceed, you can make an appointment with one of our team who will help you complete your full buy-to-let mortgage application.