HSBC Insuranc Aspects: Frequently asked questions | HSBC UK

HSBC Online Banking activation

We're currently making improvements to our Online Banking service.

If you registered for Online Banking prior to the 17th December 2014 it's not possible for you to activate your existing Secure Key and you will need to re-start your registration.

If you registered for Online Banking after this date, please log on to Online Banking entering your username, memorable answer and your password, from here you will be prompted to activate your Secure Key.

We apologise for any inconvenience which this delay may cause. Once you are registered, we look forward to introducing you to Online Banking, including the exciting enhancements we're working on now.

Find out more

Find answers to frequently asked Insurance Aspects questions.

Insurance Aspects

To help you understand what you are covered for at a glance - we've highlighted some common questions below.

Who is covered by this policy?

Cover is for you, the HSBC Insurance Aspects holder(s), your domestic partner (providing you are both under 70 years of age at the start date of your trip), and your children travelling with you if they are under 18 years of age (or under 23 if in full time education and living with you outside of term time). All insured persons must be residents of the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

Do I need to tell you that I am travelling?

No. As long as you have told us about any relevant pre-existing medical conditions you do not need to register with us or tell us that you are travelling.

Do you need to know about any medical conditions?

You will need to call the HSBC Medical Risk Assessment Helpline on 08000 517 142 before booking your trip if you or any insured person in the last 12 months has been prescribed medication, have received or are awaiting medical treatment, tests or investigations, been referred to a specialist or admitted to hospital for any condition not listed on the accepted conditions list in the Your Health section of the policy booklet. You should also tell us before you travel if there has been any changes to your health or you have been referred to a consultant/specialist or admitted to hospital.

There is no cover for undiagnosed symptoms or any claim where you knew at the time of opening your HSBC Insurance Aspects or booking your trip (whichever is later) that you or your travelling companion may be unable to travel or may need to come home early e.g. illness of a close relative or travel companion.

Pre-existing conditions are not covered at any time under the policy unless listed within the accepted conditions list or have been disclosed to and accepted in writing by the HSBC Medical Risk Assessment Helpline.

What is the maximum trip length?

Trips should be no longer than 31 days and must start and end in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man. However, when booking your trip, you may be able to purchase an upgrade to cover an extended duration.

What upgrades are available on this policy?

The following upgrades may be available for an additional cost: extended trip duration up to a maximum of 120 days; increased cancellation/abandonment cover to £7,500 per person; increased cover for golf equipment and fees. For further information please see your policy document.

Are holidays in the UK covered?

Yes. Holidays in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man need to involve a stay of at least 2 consecutive nights in pre-booked holiday accommodation. Please see our definition of "pre-booked holiday accommodation" in your policy document.

Are winter sports holidays covered?

Yes. Winter sports holidays are covered for up to a maximum of 31 days in any calendar year. Please see the full details of what's covered in your policy document.

Are Business Trips covered?

Yes. If you travel outside of the UK to carry out office-based clerical or administrative duties you are covered up to a maximum of 31 days in any calendar year. We do not cover any other type of business travel even if you have some free leisure time during your trip.

Can I claim for cancellation of my trip if I have a problem with my travel documents eg my passport is out of date/not arrived in time or visa is invalid?

No. There is no cover under this policy for problems with your travel documents before you leave. If your passport is lost, stolen or damaged once you are abroad there is cover to help you in this situation. Please see the Emergency Travel Document Expenses section in your policy document. Before you book a trip, check the entry requirements of the country you intend to visit with the local government embassy and/or the Foreign & Commonwealth Office website

How do I make a claim?

To make a claim please call the relevant number shown on the Get In touch page and refer to the information in your policy document.

Am I covered for terrorism?

Yes, if a terrorist event happens within a 50 mile radius of where you are staying, you can cancel your trip or come home early if you no longer feel safe to travel.

What happens if my flight is cancelled?

We'll cover you for cancellation if your flight is cancelled and the carrier is unable to offer you an alternative flight within 24 hours.

Will you come out if I'm the passenger rather than the driver?

Yes, with HSBC Motor Breakdown Assistance, cover is personal to the HSBC Insurance Aspects holder and so you're covered whether you're the driver or passenger of an eligible vehicle. However, please remember that the HSBC Insurance Aspects holder must be with the vehicle when the incident occurred and when assistance arrives otherwise assistance may not be provided.

How many times can I breakdown?

You can call us out up to five times per year.

How soon will I be covered once I take up HSBC Insurance Aspects?

Your cover starts as soon as you are a HSBC Insurance Aspects holder. However, breakdowns that occur before you take up HSBC Insurance Aspects are not covered.

Who's covered?

Anyone named as a HSBC Insurance Aspects holder is covered for Motor Breakdown Assistance.

Who provides the cover?

Cover is underwritten by AGA International SA, and administered by Allianz Global Assistance, a trading name of Mondial Assistance (UK) Limited.

What number do I call if I breakdown?

Contact the callout helpline number for assistance as soon as you can on 0800 587 9809 or 020 8603 9809 (calls to this number are charged at your standard network rate).

Why do I need identification?

Cover is restricted to HSBC Insurance Aspects holders, and so to ensure that you are able to have assistance, it may be necessary to confirm that you are the policyholder.

What is covered by my Mobile Phone Insurance policy?

Mobile phone Insurance covers your mobile phone or a mobile device able to make or receive telephone calls and SMS messages when connected to a mobile phone network for accidental damage, loss and theft. This policy covers a mobile phone owned by you.

Do I need to register my mobile phone?

Your mobile phone is automatically covered. However, we recommend you register your mobile phone in advance to make the process of making a claim easier.

Are accessories covered by my Mobile Phone Insurance policy?

Battery and charger are covered but no other accessories are covered by this insurance.

How long am I covered for?

You are covered by Mobile Phone Insurance from the date you became an HSBC Insurance Aspects holder until the policy is cancelled/terminated or you stop paying the account fee.

Who is covered by my Mobile Phone Insurance policy?

Your policy covers you (the policyholder), any joint account holder and anyone temporarily using the phone with your permission.

What if I'm abroad and my mobile phone is lost or stolen?

You have worldwide cover. You'll need to report any theft to the local police and contact Allianz Insurance plc as soon as possible, to start the claim process. You will need to report the loss or theft of your mobile phone to your network provider.

Back to top