Top of main content

How to get help with money

If you’re struggling to manage your finances and find you’re falling behind, there are places you can go for help.

Reaching out for help may feel difficult, but it can be an important and necessary step in getting things back on track.

Speak to someone

You may want to speak to a trusted family member or friend about your financial worries. They may be able to go through your finances with you, or help you find the best place to get assistance.


Your bank may have a team that’s able to provide you with assistance and also look at your options if you’re struggling to meet repayments on your debts.

If you’re an HSBC customer and you’ve missed a loan, or credit card payment, or you're concerned about your current overdraft position, or you're worried about missing one in the future, we can help.

Visit our money worries page for more guidance on practical steps you can take.

If you think your mental health could be affecting the way you manage your money, we have a range of services available to support you. There’s also support available if you need extra assistance, or support if you’re feeling anxious about your finances

Government organisations and charities

If you want independent advice, there are several government organisations and charities who can provide help and give general advice about managing money. You can find out about free independent money advisers in your area from:

You can also use this free calculator to find out if you’re missing out on unclaimed government benefits and allowances.

Commercial organisations

You may find there are some organisations that'll help you for a fee. In order to keep your costs down, it may be more beneficial to start with charities and government organisations. If you do feel you want to go to a commercial organisation, make sure they’re certified by the Financial Conduct Authority.

If you feel you're given bad advice you can lodge a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman.