When you use your credit or debit card online, we may ask you to enter a one-time passcode or log on to the app to confirm your purchase.
From June 2021, you may be asked to confirm online card purchases more often. We're also introducing new ways to do this.
Some of the options that will be available for you to confirm your purchases include:
- HSBC UK Mobile Banking app: Simply log on to our secure app using your Digital Secure Key and confirm your purchase in just a few taps. If you don't already have it, you can discover our app
- SMS: we'll send a code to your mobile phone for you to enter to verify and continue with your purchase. Please ensure we have your correct mobile number - you can log on and update it via online banking. We’ll be introducing additional changes to supplement the use of one-time passcodes at a later date
If you're unable to verify using a one-time passcode or the app, we're introducing an alternative card reader solution later in the year.
Make sure you're ready by following these steps
1. Download and start using the app
Already use our mobile banking app?
Don't use mobile or online banking yet?
Use online banking but not mobile banking?
Don't want to use the mobile banking app?
2. Make sure we have your correct mobile number
Review your mobile number in the mobile app
Review your mobile number in online banking
Update your mobile number without online banking
Don't want to give us your mobile number?
How do I confirm a payment?
HSBC UK Mobile Banking app
- When asked to confirm an online payment, choose the mobile banking app option.
- Log on to your HSBC UK Mobile Banking app and review the payment details. Confirm if you're happy to proceed.
- Return to your browser and select 'Payment confirmed on mobile app'.
- When asked to confirm an online payment, choose the SMS option.
- Wait for a text to arrive with a one-time passcode. It will be sent to the mobile number we hold for you.
- Enter the passcode you receive in the verification screen of the payment.
- Follow the instructions to complete the payment.
If you're unable to confirm your purchases using the app or SMS, we're working on a new card reader option.
A card reader is a small, handheld device that generates one-time codes to confirm online card purchases. To use it, you'll need to insert your debit or credit card into the device. We'll ask you to enter your card PIN followed by an authentication code, shown on your purchase screen.
The card reader will generate an 8-digit code for you to enter on the purchase screen to confirm the transaction.
We're working hard to have card readers ready soon. If you need one, we hope to start sending them to customers from November.
To get one, see our card reader page. In the meantime, if you're ever asked to confirm an online card purchase, and you can't use either the app or SMS methods, call us to discuss other options to complete your purchase.