Understanding your situation
When making financial decisions, such as taking out or cashing in an investment, it's important to be aware there are certain circumstances that could affect your judgment.
These circumstances – whether permanent, long-term or just short-lived – could make you more vulnerable than perhaps you might realise. And as your bank, we want you to be comfortable with any decisions you make.
Here are some examples of situations where you may need more support:
- Do you struggle to understand information – either words, numbers or both?
- Do you find it difficult to communicate, perhaps because English isn't your first language or you've limited speech?
- Do you find it difficult to use technology?
- Do you have a physical disability or a brain injury?
- Do you have mental health problems?
- Do you have dementia or a loss of mental capacity?
- Have you been diagnosed with a severe, long-term or terminal illness?
- Are you or your partner receiving long-term care?
- Are you responsible for the care of others, including being given their power of attorney
- Have you been widowed in the last 3 years?
- Are you on low income and/or do you have debts?
- Are you in the middle of a major life change, such as a bereavement, a divorce, a job loss or the sudden onset of ill health? Or have you received a significant windfall?
If you've answered yes to any of the above questions, we'd ask you to consider how your situation might affect how you manage your money.
Before making any decisions, you might want to ask a trusted friend, family member or professional to support you with your finances.
If you're in any way unsure before taking one of our products or services, we suggest you seek financial advice.
How we can help
If you're thinking about taking out an investment or taking investment advice from HSBC, please call us and tell us about your situation. A member of our support team will be happy to discuss your options with you.
Call us on 03457 456 123
or textphone 03457 660 391
Lines are open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays. All calls are recorded.
If you have a general banking query, please call us on 03457 404 404
or textphone 03457 125 563
Lines are open 8am to 8pm, every day. All calls are recorded.
Alternatively, if you'd like to find and/or contact your nearest branch, please use our branch locator