Getting a foot on the property ladder can be tough. That’s why we’re offering 95% mortgages to first-time buyers with a smaller deposit available.
- Borrowing at this loan to value (LTV) ratio can bring your dreams of owning your home into reach sooner, but please be aware there are downsides like higher monthly payments so consider your options carefully.
- A 95% LTV mortgage allows you to borrow up to 95% of your property value or the purchase price, whichever is lower - this means that you only need to contribute a minimum 5% deposit.
- You can calculate your LTV by dividing the amount you want to borrow by the value of the property or the purchase price (whichever is lower), then multiplying this figure by 100. For example: if your purchase price is £200,000 and you have a £10,000 deposit, you would need to borrow £190,000. The LTV calculation would be £190,000 divided by £200,000 x 100, so your LTV ratio would be 95%.
- Borrow up to a 35-year term. Spreading your repayments over a longer term could reduce the amount you pay each month, but you'll pay more back overall. Please think carefully about choosing a term and monthly repayment that suits you.
- You can make additional payments and overpayments (subject to conditions).
- 95% mortgages are only available on residential properties with a loan size up to £500,000. The maximum amount we'll lend depends on your personal circumstances, the property you're looking to buy and the type of mortgage you choose.
Here are a few considerations
- Your monthly mortgage payments will be higher with a 95% mortgage, compared to a mortgage with a lower LTV.
- You could get a lower interest rate if you provide a larger deposit.
- You always need to consider the risk of borrowing a higher amount secured on your property. If the value of the property falls below the amount of the outstanding loan, you may find it difficult to repay the mortgage if you sell the property.
To get an estimate on how much you can borrow, get a Decision in Principle
- Get a decision in principle in minutes
- It won't affect your credit score
Your home may be repossessed if you don't keep up repayments on your mortgage.
If you started a mortgage application over the phone or online, you can log on to complete it or track its progress.
You can speak with our Mortgage Advisers 7 days a week over the phone. Call us on 0800 169 6333 - Our lines are open Monday to Friday 08:00 to 20:00, Saturday and Sunday 09:00 to 17:00. Calls may be monitored and recorded. Opening hours within the mortgage departments may vary.