A smart way to verify yourself
If you're setting up the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app for the first time you can now use our Photo ID and selfie tool to securely verify your identity and complete digital registration. You just need to upload a photo of your ID plus a photo of yourself and we'll use these to confirm your identity.
Why use Photo ID and selfie?
- Register right awayRegister without needing to contact us or wait for a Telephone Security Number.
- SecureInformation and photos you share with us through the app are encrypted.
- Quick and easyVerify who you are with just two photos - one of your ID and one of yourself.
Keep your money and personal data safe and secure
Photo ID and selfie is a new secure way to verify who you are - allowing you to get access to your bank accounts digitally. By providing your photos and documents within the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app your information stays safe and secure every step of the way.
As always, our top priority is to make sure your money and personal data is protected. Find out more about our Digital Security Promise.
What happens next?
Here's what happens after you've successfully uploaded your ID and selfie
- You'll be asked to create a Digital Secure Key (DSK) PIN inside the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app.
- Then, once your ID is successfully verified, you'll be able to use your DSK PIN to log on to the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app, or generate codes for online banking.
If you get a message in the app that says 'We're still checking your details', it means that it may take a little longer for us to verify your ID. This should only take up to 2 hours, but we'll let you know if it's been successful or not within 24 hours.
If your ID verification hasn't been successful, you can either try again using Photo ID and selfie or use a different method to verify, such as your Telephone Security Number. If you don't currently have a Telephone Security Number and would like to set one up please contact us on 03457 404404.
Frequently asked questions
Can I register via Photo ID and selfie on online banking too?
As a holder of a joint account do I need to register individually on the mobile application?
What documents can I use as proof of ID?
What do I do if I get a message saying ‘Something went wrong' while going through the Photo ID and selfie check?
What do I do if get the error message ‘Identification failed’ when I'm trying to register for online banking on my mobile device using Photo ID and selfie?
Don't have the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app?
Banking from the palm of your hand