Just the essentials for everyday banking
A range of ways to bank
Do your banking by app, by phone, online or in our branches, making it easy to manage your account.1
Make payments easily using Google Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or your contactless Visa debit card.2 Payment limits apply.
No credit or overdraft
You won't have access to credit (eg an arranged overdraft, credit cards or loans) or some of our savings accounts, and you won't receive a cheque book.3
Manage your money with our app
Know exactly where you stand
Get help whenever you need it
You may be eligible for a Basic Bank Account if you:
- don't qualify for one of our other current accounts
- are 16 or over and live in the UK or EU eligible countries
- are happy for us to do a credit check against your name (if you live in the UK)
- can provide ID and proof of address if needed
- have read the important account documents below
Important account documents
EU eligible countries
Our Basic Bank Account is only designed for people who don't qualify for one of our other accounts (perhaps due to a poor credit record).
Because of this, we recommend you first check if you're eligible for our standard HSBC Bank Account instead. If you apply for that account but don't qualify, we'll automatically offer you a Basic Bank Account as an alternative if you're eligible.
Prefer to apply for our Basic Bank Account directly?
1. While we'll take all reasonable steps to stop your account going into an unarranged overdraft, there may be some situations where this happens. We won't charge you any interest or charges if it does.