A simple account to help you manage your money
Open your account
It’s quick and easy to apply online.
At a glance
- Set up bill paymentsYou can set up direct debits and standing orders to make sure your bills are paid automatically. Sending money to family and friends is easy, too.
- No Arranged overdraftOur Basic Bank Account is a current account with basic features so doesn’t come with an Arranged Overdraft.1
- Make contactless paymentsYour account comes with a contactless Visa debit card, making it easy to pay on the go.
Things you should know
Access to savings accounts
Important account documents
Who can apply?
You can apply for a Basic Bank Account if you:
- are 16 or older and a UK or EU resident
- can provide ID or proof of address if needed
- are happy for us to do a credit check against your name (if you live in the UK)
- will not continue to hold a bank account with another UK provider
How to apply
Have difficulty accessing financial services?
Already have a current account?
Find out how to make your current account work harder. Access discounts, overdrafts, and savings accounts with preferential rates. There’s something for everyone.
Can I upgrade my account?
If you already have a Basic Bank Account with us, you might be able to upgrade to an account which offers lending. Before you get in touch, please select Check my eligibility first.
If the checker gives an indication that you may be eligible for other accounts, please call us on 03457 404 404. If it doesn’t, and you’re concerned about your finances, get further support from our money worries page.
Please note: using this tool will not affect your credit score.
1. With a Basic Bank Account, while we take all reasonable steps to stop your account going into unarranged overdraft, there may be limited situations where this may happen. We won't charge you any interest or charges if this happens. Back to 'At a glance'
2. Our telephone, online and mobile banking services are open 24 hours a day. During busy periods calls may be transferred outside the UK. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded to help us continually improve our service. Back to 'At a glance'
3. Some cash machine owners in the UK may charge you for withdrawals. This will be shown on screen with an option to cancel the withdrawal if you want. Back to 'At a glance'
4. Our telephone, online and mobile banking services are open 24 hours a day. During busy periods calls may be transferred outside the UK. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded to help us continually improve our service. Back to 'Having difficulty accessing financial services?'