Step by step guide
When you need to register a Power of Attorney with us, this step by step guide will assist you in giving another person access to your account(s)/in gaining access to another person's account(s).
Step 1 - Registering
Step 2 - Make an appointment
- Call 03457 404 404 (existing customers) or 03456 040 626 (non-HSBC customers) to make an appointment to visit the branch.
- If the customer (Donor) does not already bank with us, a new account will need to be opened.
Step 3 - Visit branch
- Take the full Power of Attorney document (either the original or a copy which has been certified on every page) to your appointment. Please see Important Documents.
- We also need to see one form of identification (eg passport or full UK driving licence) and one form of address verification (eg utility bill dated within the last 4 months or HM Revenue & Customs Tax Notification dated within the last 4 months) from each Attorney wanting to act*.
* Please note that if the Attorneys are appointed 'jointly' or 'jointly for some decisions' we will need to see identification and address verification for each Attorney.
Step 4 - Next steps
- Our specialist team will check the documents. If there are any restrictions/conditions in the document, additional information may be requested.
- A confirmation letter will be issued to the Donor (where the Donor is mentally capable) or the 'main' Attorney (where the Donor is mentally incapable) when our records have been updated and the Power of Attorney is set up.