Top of main content

Is your garden insured?

From lawnmowers and BBQs to garden offices – your outdoor space can contain valuable items. But what does it mean for your insurance?

Is your garden covered by home insurance?

Most standard home insurance policies include some level of cover for your garden.

As your outdoor space falls within the boundaries of your home, structural elements such as outbuildings, drives and footpaths are typically covered by your buildings insurance.

Some items within your garden, such as garden furniture, could be covered by your contents insurance – but not everything will be. There could also be a limit on how much you can claim. 

It’s important to check your home insurance policy carefully. You need to make sure you have the right cover for your needs, and check the details. For example, insurers may ask that your garden is safe and secure for the policy to be valid.

Explore: Why home insurance is important

When might you need extra insurance for your garden?

Here are some examples of garden items that could be covered under your home insurance, and where you may need extra cover. 

Garden buildings

Permanent structures, such as outbuildings and garden offices are typically covered under your buildings insurance. Non-permanent structures, such as sheds and greenhouses may not be covered. 

Keep in mind, if you use your outbuildings for commercial purposes – such as a hair or nail salon – you may need business insurance to cover you, should something happen.  

High-value items in your garden

Some insurance policies have a maximum limit on the amount you can claim on your contents insurance for garden items – usually around £1,000. 

If you own a high-value item, such as a hot tub, your existing policy may not cover the total cost, should something happen. You may want to consider additional cover for peace of mind. 

If you’ve converted your shed or outbuilding into a home office, you may need to tell your insurer. It’s worth checking if you’d be able to claim if someone broke in and stole your laptop, for example. 

Lower value items in your garden

Plant pots, garden tools and furniture may be less expensive than hot tubs, but these items can soon add up. 

They may already be covered under your contents insurance but it’s worth checking your policy. 

Most policies don’t cover for general wear and tear. Extend the life of your items by covering garden furniture, for example, or storing it somewhere dry during winter. 

Garden gates, fences and walls

Your buildings insurance usually covers your boundary, including garden fences, gates and walls. If you had a fire, for example, you may be able to claim these on your insurance.

Keep in mind – insurers may not cover damage to fences caused by storms or general wear and tear. You’ll need to make sure they’re secure and well maintained. 

It’s worth checking your property deeds to find out which fence or wall you’re responsible for. If they were to get damaged, your insurer will only cover what belongs to you.


Standard home insurance could cover plants, trees and shrubs in certain events, such as fire, lightening or theft. 

Keep in mind that there are other risks to landscaping that are typically not covered by home insurance. For example, storms, disease or poor maintenance.  

If a fallen tree damaged your property, your buildings insurance would typically cover the damage caused, and help pay for the tree to be removed. 

Swimming pools, ponds and fountains

If you’re fortunate enough to have a swimming pool in your garden, this could be covered under your buildings insurance – if you experienced subsidence, for example. The same applies to some ornamental ponds and fountains. Pond fish, however, aren’t covered so you may want to consider pet insurance if they’re expensive. 

Explore: What to consider when buying insurance

How much garden insurance do you need?

Look around your garden and add up the value of everything. Don’t forget items in your shed or other outbuildings if you have them.

Insurers typically replace lost or damaged items with new ones. If you bought any of your tools a long time ago, for example, check the current price to work out their value.

You should also hold on to receipts of any high-value items, in case you ever needed to make an insurance claim

It’s important to read your existing home insurance policy carefully. Not only to see what is and isn’t covered, but to check the details. 

Explore: How much home insurance do you need? 

HSBC Home Insurance is provided by Aviva Insurance Limited. Exclusions and terms and conditions apply.