Top of main content

Different types of insurance for students

Whether you’re moving into halls, a shared-house or digs of your own, taking out student insurance can give you peace of mind that, if the worst happens, you’re covered.

What are the types of student insurance?

There are different types of student insurance you may want to look at when finding the right kind of cover for you, including:

  • contents insurance

  • gadget insurance

  • travel insurance

  • multi-cover insurance

Student contents insurance

If you’re heading to uni with anything of value, taking out contents insurance for students can provide an extra bit of security for your belongings. Typically contents insurance protects you if certain items get lost, damaged or stolen, and you may be able to add additional items to be covered under your policy.

However, it won’t cover your items for general wear and tear. Before taking out contents insurance, check if you’re covered under your parents' contents insurance policy. If you’re living in halls, you could have cover through the provider of your accommodation – known as a ‘block policy’ – but this should always be checked.

Student gadget insurance

You may want to look at taking out gadget insurance to protect some of your most important belongings.

For example, our student insurance offers personal computer equipment cover for laptops, tablets and headphones. You may also be able to get insurance for your gadgets through your mobile provider – or through our multi-cover insurance, Select and Cover, see below.

Again, there are often different levels and types of cover to choose from, so it’s important to take some time to find the right policy for you. And be sure to check your student contents insurance, or your parents’ content insurance, first in case you’re already covered for gadgets. 

Travel insurance

If you’re planning a trip away from home – whether in the UK or outside the UK – travel insurance can give you cover if your trip doesn’t quite go to plan. You can get cover for a number of things, including medical emergencies and lost luggage, as well as cover in the event your trip gets cancelled or delayed.

If you do take out travel insurance, make sure you look at exactly what’s covered. For example, sports like snowboarding and skiing are often not part of a standard travel policy, so you may want to add these as additional cover.

Multi-cover insurance

An alternative to the above would be to consider a multi-cover insurance which covers you for multiple things under one policy. 

For example, HSBC Select and Cover allows you to choose 3 or more types of cover from 7 options, including mobile, gadget and travel insurance. Cover starts from £19.50 per month for 3 types of insurance. 

It may be worth discussing a policy like this with your parents, or guardians, as it could provide cover for you – providing you’re under 23, in full-time education and living at home during the holidays – as well as your parents and any younger brothers and sisters you may have. It’s available to HSBC UK customers who are registered for online banking.

What next?

You may not think you need insurance when you’re heading off to university, but it’s important to weigh up the pros and cons to see if you might need it. All insurance policies come with their own terms and conditions, which you should read before you buy the policy to make sure you’re comfortable with what’s covered and what’s not.