HSBC Student Insurance
While you concentrate on your studies, you can trust HSBC Student Insurance to take care of your personal possessions.
4 levels of cover
Choose the level of cover that suits you - £2,000, £3,000, £4,000 or £5,000
Up to £500 per item
You can claim up to £500 for each individual item that is lost or damaged
Accidental damage protection
Cover included for your home entertainment equipment, mirrors and glass - up to £250 per incident
Covers your cash
Get up to £100 if your cash is lost or stolen
Tailor your cover to include pedal cycles, computers and more
Start an application
HSBC Insurance is provided by Aviva Insurance Limited and is designed to offer you the protection you need when you move away from home for the first time.
Please ensure you see the full eligibility requirements before applying.
4 levels of cover from £25 per year
You can choose cover limits between £2,000 and £5,000 and protect yourself from the financial cost of loss or damage to your contents while you are a student. Cover includes fire, storm, flood and theft following forcible and violent entry/exit from your accommodation.
Accidental damage protection
We’ll cover your home entertainment equipment, mirrors and glass up to £250 per incident. We’ll also cover home computers (not laptops), games consoles, receiving aerials, dishes and CCTV cameras that are fixed to the building.
You can also choose these optional extras:
- Personal belongings: covers items you wear or carry outside your accommodation (within the British Isles)
- Personal computer equipment: covers equipment in your possession in and away from your accommodation, including installed software (excluding mobile phones)
- Pedal cycles: covers loss or damage anywhere within the British Isles as long as your cycle is locked to an immovable object or in a locked building that only you access
Standard policy features
Policy limits: £500, Policy excesses: £50
Accidental damage cover
Policy limits: £250, Policy excesses: £50
Loss or theft of cash
Policy limits: £100, Policy excesses: £50
Personal and occupier's liability
Policy limits: £2million, Policy excesses: £50
Optional extras for all 4 levels of cover
Personal belongings cover
Between £500 and £2,000 (£500 per individual item)
Personal computer equipment
£2,000 (including £250 for installed software)
What's not covered?
- You will have to pay the first part of most claims - this is known as an excess. Your schedule details the excesses which apply to your policy
- Limits apply for certain covers; the limits are shown on your schedule and in your policy booklet
- Certain loss or damage (for example theft or malicious damage) caused by you or members of your household
- Damage caused by chewing, scratching, tearing or fouling by domestic animals
- Clause(s) may apply which exclude certain losses or damage. These will appear on your schedule
- You must comply with the conditions of the policy explained in the General Conditions section of the policy booklet for cover to apply. These include your duty to take reasonable precautions to prevent accident, loss or damage and actions you must take as soon as you become aware of a possible claim under this policy. See also the General Exclusions section of the policy booklet for those exclusions that apply to all sections.
- Motorised vehicles, aircraft, caravans, watercraft of any kind
- Loss or damage to pedal cycles in the garden (but wider cover is available under Pedal Cycles)
- Accidental damage to video cameras, mobile phones, hearing aids, games consoles and portable computer equipment (but wider cover is available under the Personal computer section and Personal belongings section)
- Loss or damage to your contents by any cause not listed in the policy booklet (but wider cover is available under the Personal belongings section)
Money and credit cards
- Loss or theft not reported to the police
- Loss or theft of credit and debit cards not reported to the card issuing company within 24 hours of discovering the loss
Please see your policy document (PDF) for full details of exclusions.
How to apply
Are you eligible?
Get a quote and apply for a student insurance policy online.
Things you should know
You should check if you are covered by a university campus scheme before applying for HSBC Student Insurance.
Make a claim
Contact our helpline numbers for assistance as soon as you can, quoting your policy number if possible.
Student insurance claims
Call us on 0345 300 58991.
1Lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls may be monitored or recorded.
We're here to help if you have any questions or queries.
Call us on 0345 300 58982.
What you'll need to hand when making a claim
- Your policy number
- Your policyholder name and address
Your cancellation rights
You have a statutory right to cancel your policy within 14 days from the day of purchase or renewal of the policy or the day on which you receive your policy or renewal documentation, whichever is the later.
Call us on 0345 300 58982.
2Lines are open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 6pm on Saturdays and 10am to 4pm on Sundays.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I have an individual item worth over £500?
My TV is worth £300 so what happens if it's accidentally damaged?
Will my belongings be covered if I'm abroad on holiday?
Is my mobile phone covered?
Will pedal cycle cover protect my bike if it's kept in the hall of my shared house?
If you have any further questions please call us on 0345 300 5898