HSBC Online Banking activation
We're currently making improvements to our Online Banking service.
If you registered for Online Banking prior to the 17th December 2014 it's not possible for you to activate your existing Secure Key and you will need to re-start your registration.
If you registered for Online Banking after this date, please log on to Online Banking entering your username, memorable answer and your password, from here you will be prompted to activate your Secure Key.
We apologise for any inconvenience which this delay may cause. Once you are registered, we look forward to introducing you to Online Banking, including the exciting enhancements we're working on now.
Why are we creating the ring-fenced bank?
After the global economic crisis, the UK government put new rules in place to protect the economy and taxpayers in case something similar happens again.
The rules say that banks will have to keep their high street arms separate from their wholesale and investment banking divisions. This is sometimes called 'ring-fencing'.
This means HSBC must separate our retail bank from our wholesale and investment bank. So we're changing the way HSBC is structured in the UK, and we are creating a new ring-fenced bank, HSBC UK.
The rules require us to make the changes prior to 1 January 2019, however to be able to achieve this, we intend to complete the changes well ahead of this deadline.
Which customers will be part of the ring-fenced bank?
- HSBC personal and commercial customers in the UK;
- Our other UK retail brands M&S Bank and first direct; and
- UK Global Private Bank clients.
Marks and Spencer Financial Services plc (MSFS) and HSBC Private Bank (UK) Limited (PBGB) will be subsidiaries of the new bank.
Which customers will remain in the non ring-fenced bank?
- All our Global Banking & Markets customers within our wholesale and investment banking division;
- UK commercial customers categorised as Non-Bank Financial Institutions, including Relevant Financial Institutions; and
- Customers of non-UK branches of HSBC Bank plc, including Channel Islands and Isle of Man customers.
- About HSBC
- Site map
- News and media
- HSBC Group
- UK ring fencing
- © HSBC Bank plc 2015